If you have balding or thinning hair on your scalp, then the procedure of hair transplant surgery can be used to add hair to that area. In this process, hair from the thicker areas of your scalp or other body parts are taken and grafted into the parts with less hair. Let’s have a look at how the hair transplant surgery in Delhi done, along with other necessary details.
How Does the Procedure Work?
In simple words, hair transplant means taking hair from other parts of your body and transferring them to the area where they are thinning. Mostly, the back part of your head is thick and keeps the hair intact. If the crown of your head has lost hair, healthy hair from the back part are taken and transplanted there.
The plastic surgeon may sterilize the area with a local anaesthetic, or give you sedation so that you stay asleep during the procedure. Following that, the hair transplant surgeon may decide to perform any of the two hair transplant methods: FUE or FUT.
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction): During this procedure, the surgeons shave off the hair from the back of your scalp and take individual hair follicles from your skin. Then they make little holes in your head and graft these follicles into them. Finally, they cover the area with gauze or bandages.
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation): To perform this procedure, the surgeons remove an entire 6-10 inches long piece from your head’s back, split it into hundreds of grafts and transplant where you have less hair. Each graft is made for each strand of hair, and they are inserted into your scalp with the help of puncture holes. Finally, the area is covered with gauze or bandages.
The number of grafts required for your hair transplant depends on your hair type, the size of your transplant site, the quality and thickness of your hair, and your hair colour.
Recovery after Hair Transplant Surgery
Both the procedures may take many hours to complete, depending on the size of area to be transplanted. However, no hospitalisation is required, and you may go back home immediately after the procedure.
The area may get swollen, for which you may be given a triamcinolone injection to keep it down. You may also experience some soreness and pain at the site, for which your surgeon may prescribe you to take pain killers, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, and certain drugs that may stimulate growth of hair.
After Hair Transplant Surgery Tips
Once your hair transplant is done, here are a few tips you may be advised to follow:
- Do not wash your hair for a few days following the transplant
- For a few weeks, use only a mild shampoo
- You may resume your normal activities within 3 days
- Don’t comb or brush the new hair grafts for around 3 weeks
- Your surgeon may advise you not to wear any pullover jackets, shirts or hats for a few days
- Avoid exercising for around a week
- Some hair may fall out. Don’t panic. This is a normal process
Hair transplant can be a highly successful method if you have naturally thinning or balding hair, or if you lost your hair because of an injury. However, it may not be that effective if you have thick injury scars on your scalp or if you lost your hair due to medicines or chemotherapy. So, get in touch with a hair transplant expert and know your options now.